Detailed Guide To Planning Your Visit to the Colosseum in Rome 2023
What are the Colosseum Opening Hours?
What's the Best Time to Visit the Colosseum?
Weekday vs Weekend: The Colosseum is one of the most popular attractions in Rome, which means it is bound to be flocked with tourists. Avoid visiting on weekends and holidays, go during the week instead. We suggest visiting in the morning, around the time when the attraction opens.
Peak Season vs Low Season: The best season to visit the attraction is between November and February, which is the off season. The weather is also quite pleasant during this time and crowds are minimal. The high season in Rome is between April and September. We recommend visiting during the low season when travel and stay prices are lesser than usual and crowds aren’t as much.
Where is the Colosseum Located?
How to Get to the Colosseum?
By Public Transport
Metro: The Colosseum has its own metro station - Colosseo. Take line B to reach the Colosseo station. The entrance to the Colosseum is a 2 to 4-minute walk away.
Tram: You can also take a tram to the Colosseum. Alight at the Piazza del Colosseo stop using lines 3 or 8.
Bus: Take buses 40, 60, or 75 to reach the Colosseum and alight at stop Piazza del Colosseo. The entrance to the Colosseum is a 5-minute walk from here.
Know Before You Go
The Colosseum is wheelchair accessible. There is a ramp to enter the building to reach the ground floor. The middle levels can be reached via an elevator. The top level and underground levels, however, cannot be accessed by wheelchair.
There are multiple accessible bathrooms present at the attraction.
- Restrooms are available inside the Colosseum.
- There are no locker facilities so avoid carrying large bags.
- There are no restaurants or cafes inside the Colosseum.
- Bulky rucksacks and bags aren't allowed inside the colosseum. Normal size handbags are not a problem and can be taken inside.
- Guests cannot eat inside the Colosseum.
- Guests are allowed to take bottles inside the Colosseum, provided that they are emptied before going inside. You can fill water at the various water filling stations at the attraction.
- Handheld cameras are not allowed inside the colosseum.
Savor the view of the Colosseum from a nearby hotel. Here are some options.
- Palazzo Manfredi: This is a 5-star hotel offering a premium experience. You can also catch views of the Colosseum from here.
- Mercure Roma Center: This is a 4-star hotel that is located about half a kilometer from the Colosseum.
- Hotel Colosseum: This is a more budget friendly option that is located about 750 meters from the Colosseum.
What’s Inside the Colosseum?
There are 3 main areas inside the Colosseum.
The Belvedere consists of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th levels of the Colosseum. You can get access to the top most level and catch some stunning views of Rome. You can also see the layout of the famous city and some of its most famous attractions.
- Bring a water bottle because it can get quite sunny during the day. There are numerous free drinking fountains located at the attraction, which you can use to fill up your bottle.
- Start exploring the Colosseum from the outside. Although you may be tempted to dash in directly, there are numerous sights and stories to learn about the outside of the Colosseum.
- Visit the Belvedere for the most stunning views of the city. It is a great place to see Rome’s famous attractions and get a glimpse of the city’s layout.
- There will be a lot of walking on this tour, so be sure to wear some comfortable walking shoes.
- Wear a hat and some sunscreen if you’re visiting in the summer.
Book Colosseum Tickets & Tours
Combo (Save 10%): Tickets to Colosseum & Vatican Museums with Sistine Chapel
Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting the Colosseum
A. The Colosseum is located in Piazza del Colosseo in the city of Rome.
A. Yes, the Colosseum is open for visits.
A. The Colosseum is open from 10:30 AM to 7:15 PM on all days of the week.
A. The Colosseum is one of the most famous landmarks in Rome and is the largest standing amphitheater in the world, despite being nearly 2000 years old.
A. No, entry to the Colosseum is not free. You must purchase tickets to go inside.
A. Tickets to visit the Colosseum can be booked online.
A. Your Colosseum tickets start from €21.
A. The best time to visit the Colosseum is in the mornings when the attraction opens.
A. Yes, the Colosseum can be visited in a group.
A. Yes, you can visit the Colosseum with kids.
A. The Colosseum is mostly wheelchair friendly. The underground area, however, is not accessible by wheelchair.
A. It isn’t possible to purchase food and drinks inside the Colosseum. However, there are many restaurants and food stalls outside.
A. You will need between 2 to 3 hours to fully explore the Colosseum.
A. Yes, it is absolutely worth it to visit the Colosseum and learn about its incredible history.